Friday, December 19, 2014

Nova (2013) #10

Nova #10 by Zeb Wells and art by Carlo Barberi + David Lopez
It's strange how many times this book is going to change writers, since we have Zeb doing most of the tie-in issues, and then Gerry Duggan (of deadpool fame) continuing from there and he gets a spotlight in this 100th issue special.

We continue with Sam talking with the New Warriors and fantasizing about being a big-name hero. Ironically, even in New Warriors #1 he wasn't even really in...but that issue came out 3 months later. What I'm saying is that he hasn't fully JOINED with the team even in that team's book (though in comic-time it obviously didn't take up 3 months of time and more like a day or so).

I also really hate the way Sam is drawn by this Artist. He looks really unfinished, short, and cartoony. Even Justice looks really washed out when he's drawn. Having to work on my own series actually helps me judge this art more. Honestly, this style does remind me of how my own series looks. At best, it actually looks a bit inconstant when it does look good.

While Speedball and Justice are now living with Sam, we get to see Carrie again (after a while between the tie-ins) who points out that she saw Sam dressed as Nova. I'm more surprised that she knows what Nova's costume (ie: Richard Rider) looks like. Do the people in the Marvel Universe have a Handbook like we do, or is this kinda stuff all over the internet. I'm now imagining a "Superhero Spotting" subreddit or something.

Anyway, Carrie storms off since Sam probably should have told her before. I'm actually wondering if she's going to appear again, cause I could understand if the writer(s) don't know what to do with her or something. Sam flies off to see The Watcher again, who shows Sam the adventures of Richard and the original New Warriors...who the kid sort of brushes off. It's funny for him to actually see Richard Rider instead of just hear about him as well as see things like Annihilation from a "modern" point of view ("I recognize the green woman, but who the heck are the others"). You even get a neat looking (not not great) flashback page to the Infinity Gauntlet days. The Watcher shows him that Nova wasn't really involved there and Sam realizes he dosen't need to be an Avenger.

The first half of the issue gets a 4/10 from me, I didn't really like it, but it's not that terrible.






No comments:

Post a Comment