Wednesday, August 6, 2014

All New X-men #12: Crazy Ladies

I was taken back by some serious sickness, but now I’m feeling better enough to make another post. I’m really surprised I don’t have an All New X-men paperback yet, but either way I’m still going through the single issues. This post is also supposed to be dual posted to facebook and google+. I’m also debating if I should start using tumblr or reddit at the moment.


All New X-Men #12
Normally this is an issue I would skip, considering it seems like a super-pointless forced crossover. I also don’t follow the Uncanny Avengers (yet), so I care even less. The cover features Past Scott blasting his present brother, it looks pretty standard/bland to me. The Wolverine variant is pretty cool, showing him in the Phoenix's embrace.


I find a few things interesting about the introduction from Scott. It says that his location is unknown, like they can’t track him for some reason. You’d think at least the X-men could make some kind of mutant tracking device like Xavier had, and in fact they do have that technology.
Wouldn’t it be suspicious if they saw a handful of mutants hanging out in the “abandoned” weapon X facility? I know picking apart the plot is pointless, but I just don’t understand why it would be so hard to find this guy, especially when he makes appearances in rallies and is wanted by a security agency! I can understand not wanting to just kill him, but not being able to find him seems dumb.
We move back to the AN X-men, who are confused by the fact that Scarlet Witch is on the Avengers (since she was on the brotherhood in their time). If it wasn’t clear before, these throwaway lines are one of my favorite aspects of this series.
Alex starts by talking to his brother, not taking the situation too seriously. He catches Scott up and notes that he must leave right away. I should note that personally I know nothing about Havok unless you count watching the First Class movie.
Soon after, Jean remembers who the Scarlet Witch is based on her new memories, reliving the House of M suddenly. It’s a bit funny since Bendis also wrote that arc. She freaks out and warns the others that the witch is a psycho-murderer. She then shoots a massive blast at the avengers, blowing some of them back. Seriously? I know she got stronger after the time travel (for like, no fully explained reason by the way) but now she’s shooting out massive energy blasts. Though, it is one of those uncontrolled anger type of things. All I’m saying is that she’s been training for at most a few weeks and she has this kind of power? I’m just saying because in the past she spent much longer training with Xavier and she still struggled to lift a person’s weight.I feel like an MMO player complaining about buffs and whatnot, but it just seems unfair for all this power to come out of nowhere...at least for me. The two girls continue launching spells at each other as everyone watches in surprise. Wanda tries to defend her actions, but honestly, I agree with Jean here. Scarlet Witch has, since then, been a highly dangerous unpredictable element that could endanger all of reality. I would have at least put her on medication or disable her powers before I let her anywhere near me!
Something else I realized, why the hell does Jean think she doesn't have the same problem? She mind-controlled and mind-reading people without asking them and is blasting people with blind rage.
Meanwhile, the brotherhood of evil burglars blows apart the England Bank. Since they are all villains, they start to distrust each other and Lady wonders what all this money is even for?
Also, why isn’t Tony investigating the fact that his money was stolen? Is he too busy being in space or doing whatever he does in his own books (not reading them)? Anyway, they escape with the money and Lady sends another marvel reference illusion (Fin Fang Foom) towards the police. Cap questions the x-men on the robberies and wolverine points out the obvious right away, Raven (Mystique) is clearly involved. Then the x-men fly off to go after her.
I was right about skipping this issue. It really doesn't affect much besides the relationship between Scott and his brother plus Wanda and Jean. There are also some dialogue flubs that I didn't point out, basically just some minor lines that read a bit weird. I would give this a 6.5 out of 10. These last few issues are less stellar than the others, but I am somewhat interested in seeing the new brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment