Thursday, August 7, 2014

Uncanny Avengers #1

Uncanny Avengers #1 by Rick Remender and John Cassaday


I found the team from the All New X-men review yesterday pretty interesting, and before I pick up the trade I figured I would read the first issue. The point of the team is to show unity between the X-men and the Avengers after AvX. It contains a mix of mutants and Avengers in one team, and while this isn’t the only time mutants have been Avengers (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver particularly) mixing in others like Rouge and Havok makes for an interesting new book.
The first thing I notice about this book is that the art is very rich with crisp details. Wolverine reflects on how he joined the X-men and walks out to speak at Xavier’s funeral. Again, I find another scene that reminds me of X-3...I wish that would stop happening…
One thing I noticed was that Logan admits that he doesn't want to kill Scott, and it was neat to see that come up again in All New X-men (even when it’s not the same writer).


Also something that came in ANX (abbreviations for the win) was Alex and Scott Summers. We see Alex visit his brother in prison and sees how much he has changed, then he is recruited into the Avengers. They fight some rogue mutant (Avalanche), and Cap pulls off a really weird fastball special by having Havok blast him higher up by pushing his shield.


Meanwhile, at Xavier’s grave, Rouge complains to Scarlet Witch that [Insert same rant from ANX here]. The whole comic switches around between locations a few times, but it’s handled seamlessly unlike the sort of thing I disliked about Avengers World where there were three disjointed stories going on at once. Wanda thinks that the whole notion of the X-men, who are basically self-righteous soldiers to her. She gets punched by Rogue for this. I almost feel bad that everyone wants to harp on Wanda’s actions...almost. They are ambushed by a group of strange beings and are badly beaten by their various powers.


By the end of the issue, we get an interesting twist: The red skull is back!
This issue is a 7/10 for me, it’s pretty good. I like the cast of this book, but the side- villains literally keep coming out of nowhere (almost like a marvel movie), but the characterization and art is great so the book manages to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment