Friday, July 25, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol.3) #7

I’m going to continue catching up with Guardians, and hopefully see it next weekend. Before that I wanted to add that there were a few books that I added to my list that weren’t reviewed.
So the series I added recently were:
Legendary Star Lord, Deadpool Gauntlet miniseries, Avengers World (on the fence), Iron Fist, All New Invaders, All New Ghost Rider, Nightcrawler, Moon Knight, and Original Sin. Overall, finding only two questionable titles in this many (Avengers World and She Hulk) makes me really happy.

Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol.3) #7
I like the group shot on the cover, but at the same time it also seems a bit too similar. Props for including Peter’s classic-ish costume though. However, more recently he’s being portrayed with the movie outfit...though that’s not really a complaint since that costume is good too.

Anyway, this is the first issue where the team actually interacts with Angela besides fighting her last issue. I personally don’t like the idea of Angela in the marvel universe, because to me she seems artificial or forced in. Now all these retcons are being made in Thor so that she can be explained in. I find it really annoying, and I honestly don’t think I’ll ever like her character. I just wanted to get that out there.
I really like how Angela asks them such simple questions that they can’t even answer. Like, they have no reason to hold her and don’t really work for anybody. Again, I really don’t think she’s a character worth introducing since it forces there to be all these retcons and weird explanations that won’t even be explained until 9 months after she is introduced (in Original Sin. The Thor comics just explained her history around a few weeks ago from when I’m writing this!). It doesn't feel like a mystery, I just think it feels like awkward writing. Then again there are devils in marvel, why not angels right?
Though they do add that she is from heaven, but again, they don’t exactly clarify that heaven is the tenth realm until later on.
I also hate that angela has those blank eyes. I really hate characters like that, she seriously reminds me of Broly or something...it creeps me out. The montage of her hunting is pretty interesting to watch though. Quill decides to let her go, since he saw the Age of Ultron time collapse thing too (ugh, what a stupid event), but Gamora is still unsure of her.
The end of the issue shows the fleet headed to earth from infinity, leading to the tie-in issues.
The issue is pretty good, despite being focused on a character I don’t like. Bendis as usual is best when writing dialogue and it really shows. I would give this issue a solid 6.5/10. Nothing amazing, but alright.  

I’m not sure if I’m going to be reading the tie-in issues, but I’ll most likely skim them without reviews. Until then. I’ll have to find a time to go to the comic shops soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment