Monday, July 21, 2014

Infinity: The Hunt #2-4 (I regret reading this miniseries)

Infinity: The Hunt #2
The issue opens showing the Latverian students that were excluded from the last issue. Included are a half-demon, a Psychic goat-man, and a vampire (who falsely claims to be related to Morbius). It seriously reminds me of a Dungeons and Dragons party more than a group of comic characters :D. The school is invaded immediately before we even meet the instructors. The head teacher looks like he’s wearing a purple batsuit with wings extending out and he just gets blasted. That’s kinda funny, it’s not like he looks like batman he just looks silly.
Edit: Turns out he was a minor character from the 70’s who got revived, and is now dead.
Quentin observes the avengers students fighting off giant purple aliens, this comic just feels awesome and the team is very small time. These are really the type of books I like: Colorful, Funny, with bits of action. This book reminds me of Wolverine and the X-men, and that is good :). Something else I noticed was that the panels are spaced out with black gutters (meaning it reads very well digitally, but with the side effect of looking slightly strange in print) It’s like this book was made for digital readers, interesting. I looked back and noticed that its the same in the first issue, but it’s not something you notice unless you switch off “smart panels”.
The kids are evacuated to the panic room. The other schools are attacked as well, and in particular the wakandan and latverian schools are destroyed. The Latverian students contact the remaining avengers students and tell them to meet up in Atlantis, since they are pretty much ditching the school.

This series is a bit strange. I really dislike the idea of introducing groups of useless minor characters that will be later discarded for the most part. I read that the vampire gets a cameo in the continuation series (Avengers Undercover), but really the characters are pointless. While I like the characters who are introduced, it seems like a bad idea to just needlessly add stock characters. The story could have focused on just the avengers academy kids and the jean grey kids only. In short, I support reviving old characters (like the latverian teacher’s cameo, named Baron Blood) since it seems witty and interesting. Adding new characters just to remove them later and/or never develop them since this is a one off seems like a waste of the readers time. Regardless, I’m continuing to enjoy the title for what it is. This is a 7.5 for me, mostly held back by my complains above. It’s good as a tie-in, and that’s only enough to make it pretty good on my scale. While a lot of reviews of the book call it flat, I guess I could agree with that, but I’m judging it on a lower standard based on the fact that it is already going to be a mediocre tie-in, and I found it much better than most. The cartoony art style remains simplistic but effective and while the plot is flat, I’m not expecting much to begin with.

Issue 3
Based on the bad reviews, it seems like most people would drop the book by now. However, that awesome picture of Kid Omega on the cover sold me right away. I would love to pick it up in trade, but it’s bundled with the other mini-series and that really annoys me.
This issue actually takes the time to introduce the rest of the students, and I think it’s a good effort. Each of the students have been separated from their schools in some way, and eventually they all start to (literally) crash into each other. One strange thing is that Morg had red vampire-like eyes in the last issue, and in the close-up for this issue his eyes are bright green looking. That really seems awkward, his eyes change BACK to a normal color instead of turning red! Nitpicking the art aside...most of the issue is a battle montage set to narration.
This issue is pretty bad compared to the others, since the simplistic art makes a lot of characters in the background look blurry and the powers look downright cheap (as in like bad effects). In this case I’d drop the grade to a 4.5 and note that if I was being less generous I’d probably go closer to a 3.

Issue 4
Reading this only to get it over with. The cover is recycled from last issue, and that is just beyond horrible. I can’t even put into words how bad it makes the comic look when they use the same cover twice. That’s like having an NES cartridge that has some other sticker glued to it. It’s that bad. The issue starts with the group getting swallowed by a whale and kid-omega delivering telepathic exposition on how the whale is controlled by an atlantean. This plot literally comes out of nowhere! The giant whale monster gets teleported to wakanda (wouldn’t it just die then?) after the students realize that wakandan warriors destroyed atlantis (somehow I thought that thanos’s guys did that, but I knew that they didn’t help. They did show a scene where atlantis was bombed, but not views of the aftermath until the Black Order showed up. In the last issue the title is finally figured out, since the giant purple aliens decide to kill all the young super-heroes. Oh, great...If this was a five issue mini-series it might actually be interesting but considering that this is the last issue that heel-turn means nothing. The art also shifts halfway through the book and makes it seem like even more of a mess even though that style is actually more detailed it just ends up looking stupid. The heroes work together to defeat the monster, and most of the dialogue seems really dumb and forced. Plus, I swear I saw the art change a third time. I like how quinten points out how each of the teens are falling in love with each other since he can read their young hormonal minds.
The series segways into Inhumanity: The Awakening. I’m almost afraid to read that book considering that this one is easily a 2/10 on my scale. A few good art pieces and some decent lines of dialogue don’t save it from being one of the worst comics I've ever seen. Oh well...I’ll shove that book unto my list.
Also, I looked back at the credits and saw that there are IN FACT three artists on this book. My god, I think this was a really embarrassing thing to put out even as a bad tie-in.

I kinda should point out that this mini-series is pointless and even as a fan of Kid Omega I think this book is trash overall. To be continued in The Awakening #1-2…(so it pretty much is a 6 issue series that’s broken in half like a badly torn page, wonderful) Not!  Based on the bad reviews I think I’m just going to skip this mess altogether. I’m sick of this comic! It made me sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment